Terms and Conditions
Pier Online is the name of an electronic journal hosting service operated by Sunmedia Co., Ltd. Please comply with the following terms when using Pier Online.
1. Method of Use
You can view for free the tables of contents and the abstracts of the electronic journals provided by Pier Online. There are two ways of reading the full text of the electronic journals. You can either purchase an annual subscription or purchase individual articles (Pay Per View).
2. Annual Subscription
This service is available to annual subscribers of the printed version of a journal.
3. Annual Subscription Fee and Payment
There is a set annual subscription fee for each electronic journal.
The annual subscription fee is payable in advance in one lump sum payment. We do not offer refunds for subscriptions that are cancelled during the contract period.
4. Pay Per View
Users who are not registered subscribers of the printed version of electronic journals can purchase individual articles (Pay Per View).
5. Pay Per View Fee and Payment
There is a set Pay Per View fee for each electronic journal article. In order to purchase an article, you must pay the Pay Per View fee online with a credit card accepted by Pier Online. After payment has been made, transactions cannot be cancelled. However, refunds may be possible under specific circumstances.
6. ID and Password
Customers who have purchased an annual subscription will be issued with an ID and password that allow them to view the full text. If the annual subscription has been purchased by an institution, user restrictions based on IP addresses can also be applied. An institutional annual subscription can only be used within the same campus in which the subscribing department is located.
The copyright of the Pier Online site belongs to Sunmedia Co., Ltd. The copyright of the abstracts (including summary) and of the full text of the electronic journals belongs to their respective copyright holders.
The users of Annual subscription or purchase individual articles (Pay Per View) can view the PDF on PierOnline within the subscribing institution.
9. Use of Interlibrary Loans
The transmission of PDF files is not permitted.
10. Restrictions on Use
1) The purchased PDF files may not be reproduced without the approval of the copyright holder.
2) Articles printed from the purchased PDF files may not be reproduced without the approval of the copyright holder.
3) Articles printed from the purchased PDF files may not be provided to parties outside the subscribing institution without the approval of the copyright holder for any purpose other than for the purpose of an interlibrary loan of paragraph 9. If the purpose of the purchase is to provide the article to parties outside the subscribing institution, a separate contract is required.
4) Usernames and passwords may not be transferred to or shared with third parties outside the subscribing institution.
5) Any other activity that interferes with the use of Pier Online or the online journals or that violates copyright is prohibited.
The customer is deemed to have finalized the purchase when the [Purchase] button is clicked. As a general principle, we do not accept cancellations after finalization of the purchase. Due to the digital content nature of the product, we are also unable to provide refunds to customers who have already purchased the product. However, we are happy to respond to the requests of customers who find themselves in the following circumstances. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
(1) You are unable to download
In case the download is unsuccessful, you are allowed to download the same product (same file format) twice within 24 hours of purchase. Please refer to "Precautions for Download".
If you are having problems downloading, please contact our staff by email.
* Some of our content is delivered in large files. You may be unable to download them properly if you are not using broadband (CATV, ADSL etc.). Please note that we cannot guarantee that all files can be properly downloaded in all environments.
Please check the file size and download time when purchasing the product.
(2) There is a defect in the product contents
We will exchange or refund any product that contains an omission or fault. Please contact our staff by email.
(3) You have mistakenly purchased the same product twice
Due to the nature of our product, we do not generally provide refunds. However, customers who have mistakenly purchased the same product (same file type) twice are requested to contact our staff by email. Depending on the circumstances, we may respond to customer requests for refunds.
Updated November 2014